4 Common Wisdom Teeth Problems and How to Overcome ThemThe Most Common Endodontic Procedures
The wisdom teeth, also called third molars, emerge in your mouth as the final set of molars, usually between the ages of 17 and 25. While some people have little to no difficulties with their wisdom teeth, many concerns require care. It is essential to raise awareness about typical wisdom tooth issues, their symptoms, and the various treatments to contain these issues and maintain the best possible dental health.
In this blog, you will learn all about:
- What are wisdom teeth?
- What are some common issues with wisdom teeth?
- How can you tackle common wisdom teeth problems on your own?
- When should you seek help for your wisdom teeth problems?
- How can we help you take care of your common wisdom teeth problems?
What are Common Wisdom Teeth Problems?
Wisdom teeth come under the category of present-day body parts that indicate the evolutionary journey of humans anatomically, like the appendix. Wisdom teeth have benefited our ancestors by breaking down the tough and raw food they had access to. But because of the dietary modifications of today and the reduced jaw proportions, these extra molars frequently cause problems when they emerge.
Symptoms of Wisdom Teeth Issues
Recognizing these issues at an early stage can help avert more serious consequences. Typical signs and symptoms include:
- Persistent soreness or pain behind the mouth
- Gum swelling and soreness
- Jaw tensing and trouble completely expanding the mouth
- Bad taste or odour brought on by the accumulation of germs
- Inability to chew or bite because of pain or discomfort
- Fever and enlarged lymph nodes, which might indicate infections
Common Issues with Wisdom Teeth
Impaction essentially means that too much of your mouth area is being disturbed by a newly emerging tooth. It is a prevalent issue faced by people with wisdom teeth. This usually occurs because, due to less space, wisdom teeth are trapped below the gum line. Be observant of any impacted wisdom teeth, as it can result in pain, oedema, and infection.
Wisdom teeth emerge when you are an adult, so you struggle to find adequate space in your mouth as you already have all your other teeth perfectly grown. This can cause other teeth to become misaligned. Crowding increases the risk of decay and gum disease. Due to this, you might face discomfort, misalignment, and trouble cleaning the mouth properly.
Infections are caused by bacteria, which enter through a gap left by partially erupted wisdom teeth, leading to an infection and inflammation called pericoronitis. Due to this, you can face pain, oedema, and difficulty opening the mouth.
4. Tooth decay and Gum Disease
If you have tooth disease, you are likely more vulnerable to gum disease and tooth decay. This is because wisdom teeth are present at the back of the mouth, which is an area that is difficult to clean by brushing and flossing, increasing the risk of plaque accumulation and bacterial growth.
How to take care of common wisdom tooth problems
Consulting a dentist is often necessary when dealing with issues related to wisdom teeth. The following are typical fixes and available courses of care:
1. Monitoring: Wisdom teeth can occasionally not result in issues right away, but they run the chance of doing so in the future. A dentist can monitor them regularly to help track their development and decide whether intervention is required.
2. Extraction: This is a physically intervening method to treat issues related to wisdom teeth. But don’t worry about the pain. During the extraction process, surgeons usually prescribe local or general anaesthesia when oral surgeons or dentists do extractions.
3. Antibiotics: As having wisdom teeth-related problems can give rise to several infections, several patients need antibiotics as a treatment. However, they only treat the symptoms and don’t address the underlying problem. So, ensure to meet good dentists who can solve the problem from its root for you.
4. Pain management: If you are in unbearable pain, don’t hesitate to ask your dentists for over-the-counter painkillers such as Ibuprofen or acetaminophen. They ease the discomfort caused by issues with wisdom teeth. To reduce discomfort and irritation, dentists sometimes suggest topical gels or numbing medications.
5. Orthodontic Treatment: Don’t worry about seeing such a complicated word! Based on your particular concerns, orthodontic treatments involve using braces or clear aligners that may be required in cases where wisdom teeth cause crowding or misalignment.
How to Prevent Common Wisdom Teeth Problems
Although it is not possible to avoid every wisdom tooth issue, there are steps you may take to lower the chance of complications:
1. Frequent dental check-ups: Ensure that, during the early signs of any pain or discomfort, you visit your friendly neighbourhood dentist and diagnose the underlying cause soon. .
2. Maintain Proper Oral Hygiene: Use antimicrobial mouthwash, floss once a day, and brush twice a day to minimize plaque-related risks.
3. Healthy Diet: Eat a diet filled with micronutrients to help your body recover from all the issues that arise due to wisdom teeth. A balanced diet full of fruits, vegetables, and calcium will help you.
4. Steer clear of smoking: Smoking might cause your immunity to stagger. It also causes a lot of carcinogens to enter your mouth. Try our best to steer clear of smoking for a while.
Wisdom teeth issues are a prevalent dental condition that a lot of people deal with throughout their late teens or early adult years. To preserve the best possible oral health, it is crucial to comprehend the warning signs, symptoms, and available treatments for wisdom tooth disorders. Wisdom teeth problems can be lessened and your smile preserved for years to come with routine dental checkups, appropriate oral hygiene habits, and quick action when issues develop. If you think you might be having issues with your wisdom teeth, speak with your dentist for advice and treatment options specific to your situation.
Suffering from wisdom teeth?
Our team of professional dentists will help you get rid of your common wisdom teeth problems as soon as possible.
Contact us by clicking here! We would love to enrich your smile with care and expertise.